How to pronounce 'going' in UK english? As per phonetics 'go' is pronounced as 'go-v' So when we add 'ing' whether we have to pronounce it 'go-v-ing'or just 'going'?

  • 2
    There is no "v" in go or going in any speech variant I know of. Why do you say this is "as per phonetics"? Commented Jul 3, 2015 at 16:48
  • 1
    No, go is never, ever, in any dialect or any kind of phonetic writing written as being pronounced “go-v”. There is no v-sound of any kind in that word, ever. In standard, Received Pronunciation-like British English, go is pronounced approximately [ɡəʊ] or [ɡɜʊ], and going is pronounced [ˈɡəʊ.ɪŋ] or [ˈɡɜʊ.ɪŋ] (the final [ŋ] can also be just [n], depending on speed, context, and clarity). Commented Jul 3, 2015 at 16:48
  • Most speakers in at least some contexts reduce the first vowel in gonna = going to to a schwa, but it's also quite common to "elevate" it to rhyme with gun. Commented Jul 3, 2015 at 16:54
  • 3
    go is pronounced with a /w/, and not a /v/. (These are the same consonant in some languages, but not English.) And when we say going, indeed we put in the /w/. But if you put in a /v/ instead of a /w/, you'll confuse people more than if leave out both the /w/ and the /v/. Commented Jul 4, 2015 at 0:31
  • What I think this question is asking (and it is relevant for all varieties of English, not just BrE), is how to really pronounce word or morpheme transitions from (semi-)vowel to (semi-)vowel. Do you remove the glide (at the end of 'go'), do you remove it, do you replace with a glottal stop, do you convert to a diphthong, or what?
    – Mitch
    Commented Nov 29, 2017 at 13:13

2 Answers 2


I do not know what you mean by "As per phonetics 'go' is pronounced as 'go-v'".

I can think of no English accent in which "go" has a /v/ (voiced labiodental fricative) sound.

However, in many accents the vowel in 'go' is a diphthong, in which the second element is a mid-high rounded approximant /ʊ/ (roughly, the vowel in 'look' or 'put'): is that what you mean? In those accents, the diphthong remains in 'going'.

  • Since "you de man", so to speak, can I just ask what word (if any) linguists would use to describe what I just referred to as "elevating" the first vowel sound in gonna so it rhymes with gun? Commented Jul 3, 2015 at 16:59
  • 1
    Raising, I think, and perhaps fronting a bit, from (low) mid to upper-mid.
    – Colin Fine
    Commented Jul 3, 2015 at 17:02

It's goin', put less stress on last 'g'. Here's a link that you can refer to listen it ,click here

  • There is no last 'g': that is a purely orthographic device for representing the sound /ŋ/. What you refer to as "put less stress on last 'g'" is more accurately described as "substitute the phoneme /n/ for the different phoneme /ŋ/".
    – Colin Fine
    Commented Feb 27, 2018 at 23:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.