Like, there are leaves on the outside, and leaves on the inside which are usually protected from the elements.

  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because there is not enough research/information in the post to indicate that such a word even exists. – Tushar Raj Jul 2 '15 at 7:34
  • @TusharRaj If he knew that such a word even exists, he would probably know the word itself, too... – Wottensprels Jul 2 '15 at 7:35
  • @Sprottenwels: Probably. Not necessarily. We get requests here where the asker knows there is a word but can't place it. Good OPs even include what their reasearch turned up. – Tushar Raj Jul 2 '15 at 7:36

I believe there aren't any words to describe this. Adhering to a phyllotaxy dictionary also doesn't yield good results.

You may want to use 'sheltered/shielded/inner foliage' or 'inter-verduary so-and-so' or even 'secluded leafage/foliage'.

Capitalizing on the 'covered' aspect, by using adjectives like 'umbriferous' (Meaning: casting shade or shadow), in a different syntax as opposed to your sentence can also, if done right, yield the same result.

| improve this answer | |

I don't believe that there is a single term for this but I might be wrong.

I'd suggest something like 'delicate foliage', maybe with further circumscription.

The tree's inner delicate foliage, protected from harms of any sort by the shrouding outer leaves

| improve this answer | |


"Shoot(s)", meaning emerging steam and embryonic leaves of a new plant, may be used.


A new growth on a plant whether from seeds or other parts is called 'SPROUT'It can be used as well.


At the simplest, "EAR" may have a chance

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.