What is the single word for the select\deselect. I can think one word "Manage" but not sure how relative it is to select and deselect really.

Please don't ask for context as it confuses people then.

  • Is it within a frame or section that makes it clear that what it is doing is to objects. e.g. Objects > Manage. i.e. that it does its thing to objects is a given?
    – Avon
    Jul 1 '15 at 10:29
  • 1
    I am guessing that you want to design a user interface. If so then an existing convention may help you. I am not sure but you could try ux.stackexchange.com or even stackoverflow.com ? Jul 1 '15 at 10:32
  • @EleventhDoctor nope, I just want to know if there's any single word for select or deselect, we provide context for understanding not for wanna be answers :(
    – Learner
    Jul 1 '15 at 13:13
  • I think @Margana has cracked it with toggle. Jul 1 '15 at 13:18
  • 1
    It simply has to be said: it's a HUGE PITY that anyone voted to close, or voted down, this excellent question. If you thought there was "no answer" or it's a "silly question" - perhaps think again about how is silly, as Margana has givne the exact answer to this excellent question.
    – Fattie
    Jul 1 '15 at 16:17

If it's one switch which alternates between two states in response to the same action (as an on/off button) it's called a toggle.

computers : a setting that can be switched between two different options by pressing a single key, making a single choice from a menu, etc. - Merriam Webster

  • 1
    I was about to give this as the answer. +1
    – Deepak
    Jul 1 '15 at 12:34
  • Perfect answer to a superb question. Here's a puzzle I am as to positive negative as toggle is to select deselect. What am I?
    – Fattie
    Jul 1 '15 at 16:18
  • "I am to positive/negative as toggle is to select/deselect. What am I? Answer: n times -1 ?
    – Margana
    Jul 1 '15 at 20:55

I think Option as Opt one of the object or Choice as Choose one of the object can fit here.


Personally, I feel that a button which selects one option from a choice of two (mutually exlcusive) states is called a switch.

I can find no single definition of switch which declares this property, however combining two common definitions does grant this meaning:

  1. An exchange or swap

  2. (Electrical Engineering) a mechanical, electrical, electronic, or optical device for opening or closing a circuit or for diverting energy from one part of a circuit to another

Both sourced from thefreedictionary.com, itself citing Collins English Dictionary in each case.


On Web pages and the like, such a thing is called a checkbox.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.