Dr. Elbert Ainstein,
Dear sir I have read everything you ever wrote. blah blah.. Your paper on so..more blah... I wish to study at your esteemed blahblahb....
Yours Sincerely,
Beststud Youlleverhave

Dr. Elbert Ainstein is a professor and Beststud Youlleverhave is a student. Students often write mails to profs before admissions(to get admissions). I have been to a University's webpage. It said we encourage Professor ________ing.

I can't remember what that word was. What is it? What is the word for this thing?

closed as too localized by MrHen, Robusto, JSBձոգչ, Dusty, F'x May 16 '11 at 19:25

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • The question is closed, but I suspect the word might have been COURTING. "To endeavor to gain the favor of by attention or flattery; to try to ingratiate one's self with." – Ed Guiness May 16 '11 at 20:24
  • What was the name of the university? You may be able to uncover the page again by doing a site-specific Google search with a quoted search term, i.e. site:someuniversity.edu "we encourage professor" – Chris Bloom Jul 11 '11 at 19:45

It sounds like you are looking for the term 'brown-nosing.'

This is a synonym for 'sucking up to' or 'kissing ass.'

The purpose of such actions would be to gain the favor of a professor in order to influence their decision to admit you into their program.

  • I wish I knew a good source to link to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. – jjnguy May 16 '11 at 19:23
  • "hey stop bringing the teacher apples every day y' brown nose!!" – user8568 May 16 '11 at 19:28

The general word could be "contacting"; a more specific word for what you are doing is "cold-calling". The concept of aid or assistance via a person is known as a "reference" which could have an associated "referencing".

  • No. It was something else. – Pratik Deoghare May 16 '11 at 18:38
  • Was it supplicating? – Ben Hocking May 16 '11 at 18:44
  • No. It was really cool word and probably began with "B". Damn! – Pratik Deoghare May 16 '11 at 18:50
  • Maybe "vetting"? – Kit Z. Fox May 16 '11 at 19:34

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.