I'm curious if there is a word for someone who uses "thee" or "thine" or other words like these in their daily language?

  • 6
    They're called Yorkshiremen although they may be women too - it's not a gender specific term nowadays. You could call them Yorkshirefolk instead if you wish :) – Araucaria Jun 29 '15 at 23:26
  • 2
    @Araucaria That is true. Good point. Though I have to admit I’ve never heard a Yorkshireman actually distinguish thou/thee/thy/thine very clearly—they all seem to become just [ðə] or [ða] indiscriminately in my experience. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jun 29 '15 at 23:36
  • 2
    Antediluvian, perhaps?! – Julie Carter Jun 29 '15 at 23:48
  • 2
    The generous response would be to refer to them in kind. – user98990 Jun 30 '15 at 0:36
  • 2
    "Time travellers"? – Deepak Jun 30 '15 at 1:56

I could not find the exact word for such people, but such usage is Archaism, so consequently, Archaist can be used to describe such people, where Anarchistic would be the ability to speak Archaic language.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.