What is the word for the hole or cup at the top of a knight's helmet from which a plume streams?


"Crest holder" or "crest support". See this: http://www.museumoflondonprints.com/image/78976/unknown-roman-helmet-crest-holder


Crest block. Go here: Roman helmet


For completeness, although this may not be the type of helmet originally in mind when the question was asked, Officers of the Household Cavalry in the UK wear a helmet with a plume similar to this:

Helmet and plume of an officer of the Life Guards

[Life Guards helmet and plume from householdcavalry.info]

The mount which supports the plume is called a plume spike.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.