I came across a name card from an academic staff, with title after the name written as PH.D

Is this proper?


  • Ideally, it should be "Ph. D."... so I would say both your versions are technically wrong. – keshlam Jun 29 '15 at 4:17
  • 1
    @keshlam Ideally to whom? – Catija Jun 29 '15 at 4:18
  • If a name card is the same as a business card, it may have been a purely stylistic choice. – VampDuc Jun 29 '15 at 16:30

According to Wikipedia, there are many ways to abbreviate it:

Doctor of Philosophy, abbreviated as PhD, Ph.D., D.Phil., or DPhil in English-speaking countries and originally as Dr.Philos. or Dr.Phil. (for the Latin philosophiae doctor or doctor philosophiae), is in many countries a postgraduate academic degree awarded by universities.

It doesn't seem that your exact example is listed here, as it's missing the second period and the "h" is capitalized but if all the text on the card is in uppercase, that could explain the capitalized "h".

As for me, the Ph.D. option makes sense. Seeing as it is two separate words that have been turned into a single abbreviation.

  • 2
    Incidentally, I wouldn't recommend using "Dr. Phil." in America, because. . . en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_McGraw – Brian Hitchcock Jun 29 '15 at 5:07
  • D.Phil in England is specifically a doctorate from the University of Oxford. The difference is important in a few academic contexts, though allowances are made for Americans and other barbarian scholars. – Tim Lymington Jul 31 '15 at 14:07

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.