In some countries, specially in Asia, some vendors spread their stuff for sale on the ground (upper picture), and thereby cause trouble for the pedestrians comeing and going. For preventing this, there are some officers whose job is preventing those vendors from selling their stuff in the sidewalks!

Is there any special word or phrase for referring to those **officers whose task is to alleviate street congestion"?* (lower picture)

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • as I know its - Municipal Officers (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipality) – alpa Jun 27 '15 at 16:52
  • Thanks dear @alpa! :) Good! , but I 'm looking for a word or phrase for a subdivision of those officers whose job is only what I described before. – Soudabeh Jun 27 '15 at 17:10
  • 1
    No dear alpa! I don't want to prevent them from earning money! I feel pity for them,too! Actually a friend who is learning English , asked me this question! But I didn't know the answer!:) so I put forward it here!:) – Soudabeh Jun 27 '15 at 17:37
  • 1
    Can I say" municipal officers from enforcement division"? , suppose that I have an English oral exam and I have to describe the lower picture! :) – Soudabeh Jun 27 '15 at 17:47
  • 1
    as one of the answers notes, the exact term will depend on whether they are enforcing a hygiene ordinance against blocking sidewalks, or enforcing a business ordinance requiring vendors to have permits. then you can call hygiene inspectors or commerce compliance officers, something along those lines. What are they called in Bahasa, or whatever the local language is? – user31341 Jun 26 '16 at 14:39

In the US such activities are generally regulated by city or municipal ordinances and often enforced by ordinance enforcement officers or just ordinance officers. These officers may deal with parking, zoning, codes and so on. Larger cities will have specialists for each type of orninance, but in smaller ones a single officer does duty in multiple areas.


In the US, It depends on whether the vendors' "stuffs" (sic)* includes food. If it does, the enforcement is more likely to be for a violation of health-related licensing requirements, so it would be done by (County) Health Department inspectors, who would not just tell them to move out of the way, but would force them to shut down operations until they could get the proper permit(s).

If the selling is actually blocking traffic, police officers would be called to disperse the street merchants. This might be performed by the traffic enforcement division of the police department—the same people who would ticket illegally parked cars.

*"stuff" is generally a non-count noun

  • Thanks a lot ! @Brian Hitchcock! +1 , in my country( Iran) the municipal officers are responsible for preventing vendors selling stuff in the streets, so what should I use for referring to those officers?, " municipal enforcement officers" is correct? – Soudabeh Jun 28 '15 at 13:57
  • I have no idea. I can speak only for my country. If you are speaking of, say, Malaysia, it would be best to research Malaysia. All I can say is that "municipal officer" is a very broad term, which is not specific to the type of enforcement you mentioned. To me, a "municipal officer" could mean anyone from a police officer, to a bailiff, to a meter reader, to a park ranger. – Brian Hitchcock Jun 28 '15 at 14:24

Municipal Corporations are in to various spheres - including "property management" like property santitation,taxation,usage etc. They usually have officers to look after hygeine and property usage for assigned areas. And as such Municipal Administrators are the ones you could check with.

Ideally you may want to check with "encroachment" and/or "enforcement" division to update and request action for people causing incovinience and encroaching pedestrian rights. But I might suggest humanitarian view and let them continue earning their livelihood and not further stomp them because you could.

I am glad I could assist you.

Thank you!

  • Sure thing, Please pick one that best fits your needs. Thank you! :) – alpa Jun 27 '15 at 18:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.