I'm looking for a word that would represent the motion of swinging a melee weapon (Bat, Sword, hammer, axe, etc) starting at your legs and moving upward.

The end of the weapon would be starting on or close to the ground, then it would be making an uppercut motion.

Examples that don't quite fit:

  • Bash - Thrusting a blunt object forward
  • Slash - Diagonal upward or downward attack
  • Stab - Thrusting a sharp object forward
  • Sweep - Swinging from one-side to another
  • Crush - Downward swing of a weapon (exact opposite of what I'm currently looking for)
  • Did you you look at any fencing or swordsmanship references? They probably have technical vocab for just this. Tierce? Prima?
    – Mitch
    Jun 24, 2015 at 22:30
  • I have now, the problem with the fencing, sword, and katana terms is that I'm finding they're either too specific adding in extra details or just use "upward cut". I was hoping to find a single word to describe this action in general.
    – Shelby115
    Jun 24, 2015 at 22:58

2 Answers 2


Generally, for all weapons (axe, sword):

upswing: (v.) an upward swing or movement


unterhau (v.) Medieval fencing term for upward or rising strikes made from below the waist



uppercut: (v.) hit with an upward batting stroke


'Brandish or flourish'or even'uphold' may be used.

  • 2
    Hi Barid Baran Acharya. This is a great answer, but it would benefit from having cited definitions of the words added to it.
    – Dog Lover
    Jun 25, 2015 at 2:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.