We don't use the phrase "kitchen roll" in the US.


2 Answers 2


Kitchen roll: noun [U] UK US (UK also kitchen paper, kitchen towel)

  • soft, thick paper on a roll, from which square pieces are torn and used in the kitchen or other places, especially for removing liquid. (Cambridge Dict.)

enter image description here

Paper towel : noun [C] UK US

  • a sheet of soft thick paper used for drying your hands, cleaning objects, absorbing liquids, etc. (Cambridge Dict.)

enter image description here

  • Funny how this British dictionary claims that this phrase is used in the US. Not! Commented Jun 23, 2015 at 19:56
  • 1
    Clearly the Cambridge lexicographers are not keeping pace with the latest developments in kitchen hygiene and domestic economy. It is common to find kitchen rolls now where the distance between perforations is half the width of the towel, so that for small spills an entire square need not be used. The definition should say "rectangular pieces" not "square".
    – TimR
    Commented Jun 23, 2015 at 19:57
  • Of course, in the UK, a "square" means any rectangle. Commented Jun 23, 2015 at 20:01
  • @TimRomano - I think you are right from a geometrical perspective, not a big difference anyway.
    – user66974
    Commented Jun 23, 2015 at 20:06
  • The marketing department respectfully disagrees.
    – TimR
    Commented Jun 23, 2015 at 20:10

Yes, with the addition that you keep a single roll in the kitchen, on a holder, and use a little bit at a time.

It is used in the UK, it seems. The concept also exists in Norway, as "kjøkkenrull".

  • Since this phrase is strange to this American ear, tell us where "kitchen roll" is commonly used? Commented Jun 23, 2015 at 19:48
  • homedepot.com/p/…
    – TimR
    Commented Jun 23, 2015 at 20:00
  • Wallmart? . (Albeit with some supplementary words..)
    – Margana
    Commented Jun 23, 2015 at 23:10
  • These sites rely on keywords, and their markets are international. If you type in "kitchen roll," you'll get paper towel hits with the words "kitchen roll" added to the description. If you key in :"paper towel," the descriptions will not include "kitchen roll." I assure you we do not use the expression "kitchen roll" in the US. Commented Jun 23, 2015 at 23:45

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.