Are there any English words that are pronounced with a hard "keh" sound as their first syllable, and begin with the two letters 'ci' in their spelling?

I ask purely out of curiosity, since I was unable to find any examples.

  • Chiral is as close as i can think of. – whybird Jun 22 '15 at 7:02
  • The closest I can think of is the name Ciaran as an Anglicisation of the name Ciarán but it's a proper noun, and it's more common to either leave it in the original Ciarán or to Anglicise further to Kiaran. – Jon Hanna Jun 22 '15 at 10:45
  • Some people used to say kinema, back in the early days of film. But they spelled it with a -k-. – TRomano Jun 22 '15 at 12:15

None that the OED records through its paper supplements.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.