Is there a word that means "of the genitals" or something similar? Example usage would be something like: "the genitalic tissue." Thanks!

closed as off-topic by ermanen, Drew, Mari-Lou A, tchrist, Edwin Ashworth Jun 24 '15 at 22:17

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • This is what dictionaries are for. – David Richerby Jun 21 '15 at 9:31

Genital is the adjectival form:


  1. Relating to the human or animal reproductive organs:


From Women's Sexual Function and Dysfunction: Study, Diagnosis and Treatment, by Irwin Goldstein, et al:

The vascular nature of genital tissue lends itself to many parallel comparisons from the already established field of cardiovascular biology.

The noun usage, generally the plural genitals, developed before the plural genitalia was introduced as a clinical term in the 19th century:

late 14c., "pertaining to (sexual) reproduction," in membres genytal "the genitals,"
from Latin genitalis "pertaining to generation or birth; fruitful" (also a by-name of the goddess Diana),
from genitus, past participle of gignere "to beget" (see genus).
Hence the English word came to mean "pertaining to the organs of generation."
As a noun meaning "sex organ" from mid-15c. (plural genitals is from late 14c.).

Notice the relative frequency of the terms genital, genitals, genitalia and genital (noun):

enter image description here


I think you'll find that "genital" is already an adjective.

Relating to the human or animal reproductive organs: the genital area

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.