I mean, is there a word that describes a person who follows the latest stuff? For example, someone who waits desperately for iPhone 6 to come out so he can be the first person who has it among his friends. So he can show off and feel like he is the coolest person in the world.

  • Yes, shallow
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Jun 20, 2015 at 11:57
  • 2
    Call me shallow if you will, but I am up to the minute and you are not. Commented Jun 20, 2015 at 16:03

6 Answers 6


A person who is quick to follow latest trends is, well, trendy

A person who is very fashionable or up to date:

Taiwan’s well-heeled young trendies

Although this doesn't quite capture that he does it to "show off and feel like he is the coolest person in the world."

For that, try


fashionable and expensive in a way that is intended to impress people

a swanky new hotel

PS - note that swanky is approving. You sound like you need a word that's disapproving.

  • Good suggestions. My only issue with "trendy" is that trends are often retro in nature. For example search for "dumb phone trend" and you'll find many hits about people who are eschewing the latest phones to be hip. However Trendoid (oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/trendoid) may work well; "A person who follows fashion blindly or excessively". It has the appropriate negative connotation as well.
    – Alan K
    Commented Jun 20, 2015 at 20:47

This would be an "early adopter".

In the diffusion of innovation theory, the minority group (comprising about 14 percent) of population which, after innovators, is first to try new ideas, processes, goods and services. Early adopters generally rely on their on intuition and vision, choose carefully, and have above-average education level. For any new product to be successful, it must attract innovators and early adopters, so that its acceptance or 'diffusion' moves on to early majority, late majority, and then on to laggards.

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/early-adopters.html

  • That's an awfully good suggestion. I think I may have heard it elsewhere, about 3 hours before your post. 8^>
    – Alan K
    Commented Jun 20, 2015 at 20:41
  • 1
    @Alan K I read right across that one...it was at the tail not the start of your post.
    – Bookeater
    Commented Jun 20, 2015 at 21:05

I could probably suggest "fool" and be accurate enough, but I suspect it may put some noses out of joint if the wrong people find this answer in their search results. (Really people, It. Is. A. Phone. Nobody who has a sense of priorities cares.)

I'm not aware of a single word that's commonly in use. However the most common expression that I've come across is Early Adopter.


Referring specifically to technology products as per you example, a slang expression is Technofreak:

  • Somewhat like technogeek, a person who is obsessed with the latest technology, and everything techno-y, (music, clothing, etc), while still being able to straddle the line between nerd/geek and normal person, with a reasonalbe social life. They are also extremely adept at new technologies and are usually able to complete really complex technological things without becoming too unbalanced. Usually has a nostalgia for the 90's rave scene, even if they weren't involved in it.

(Urban Dictionary)

  • 1
    Along with technogeek and technofreak is technophile.
    – user57832
    Commented Jun 22, 2015 at 13:08

I believe a good word for a person who likes or buys new things all the time is a:

Neophilia / (ˌniːəʊˈfɪlɪə) / noun a tendency to like anything new; love of novelty

  • 2
    Hello, Nico. It's important to add links to and to attribute quoted material. I believe you want the related concrete noun neophile. Commented Nov 5, 2020 at 15:19

Modish is a possible word.

modish ˈməʊdɪʃ/Submit adjective: modish conforming to or following what is currently popular and fashionable.(Ref)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.