What SINGLE verb means 'to make or turn positive (something)'? Urbandictionary.com contains positify, but I prefer a verb accepted by a worthy dictionary like the OED.
I seek only 1 SINGLE verb; please exclude phrasal verbs or verb phrases.

Also, what of 'to make or turn something negative'? The transitive verb 'negative' doesn't mean this; it has 2 different definitions (first, to reject'; second, 'to neutralise').

Some sample sentences of my own:

1. I wish to learn how to make positive clauses of negative polarity.

2. How can we make negative comments (or experiences) positive?

  • What do you mean by "something"? And what do you mean by "positive"? Can asparagus be positive? – TRomano Jun 19 '15 at 22:10
  • @TimRomano Given his posting history here and on other stacks in the exchange, he's likely looking for a concise way to express "turning a double-negative statement into a positive assertion". That is, make a logical proposition positive grammatically/semantically. As in negate, but strictly in one direction. – Dan Bron Jun 19 '15 at 22:35
  • The negative word would be negate. I'm not aware of a positive version of that. – Barmar Jun 19 '15 at 22:41
  • 1
    @Barmar Negate means "flip the logical sense, toggle". It doesn't mean "make negative". If you negate -5 you get 5, a positive number. If you Johnny doesn't like apples, you get Johnny likes apples, a positive statement. I can't speak for him, but my guess is LePress is looking for is a word which describes what I just did to the sentence about Johnny, but could not describe the inverse (turning does into doesn't). Check out the link in my previous comment for more context & examples. – Dan Bron Jun 19 '15 at 22:46
  • 1
    Are you looking for something like Unary Positive? – Elliott Frisch Jun 20 '15 at 1:10

OED gives positivize:

trans. To render positive or real.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.