Supposing I have a given operation/sequence of operations that can be either commited or rolled-back, can I say that each operation is "rollbackable"? What is a word for something that can be rolled back?

closed as unclear what you're asking by RegDwigнt Jun 18 '15 at 11:58

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    Any particular reason not to use reversible or one of its synonyms? – Dan Bron Jun 18 '15 at 11:44
  • We're trying to make something analog to the process of "rollback" on a relational database, hence the preference for something that cleary says "rollback". – Roy Stark Jun 18 '15 at 11:45
  • it's reversible. – Fattie Jun 18 '15 at 11:52
  • rollbackable seems fine - go for it – Fattie Jun 18 '15 at 11:52
  • If your preference is to clearly say that something can be rolled back, then your best option is to clearly say that it can be rolled back. Bending over backwards to create a new word, as morphologically sound as it might be, is clearly not the clearest way. You just said, it can be either commited or rolled back. I am not seeing any kind of problem with that. Now you want to instead say it's committable and rollbackable. I have to ask you to elaborate on why you would want any such thing. – RegDwigнt Jun 18 '15 at 11:58

A fine word that exists is:


repeal (v.) late 14c., from Anglo-French repeler, Old French rapeler "call back, call in, call after, revoke" (Modern French rappeler), from re- "back" (see re-) + apeler "to call" (see appeal (v.)). Related: Repealed; repealing.

It's unambiguous and not used in Database circles; its only failing is that is refers to "calls" which have little to do with this particular problem domain.

How about a cross-lingual portmanteau: From the German word "rear", rück combined with roll, I get:


You can add the Umlaut to make it look exotic. It has the dubious features of sounding like "rock and roll" and "Rick-rolling". Or Scooby-Doo.

  • that's quite clever about ruckrollable – Fattie Jun 18 '15 at 11:53

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.