Is there any specific term for someone who feel the need of constantly learning something new ? like a learning disease.

What should the appropriate term be?

  • Related: What term means “one who enjoys learning”? Jun 9 '15 at 19:56

Bookworm may refer to excessive dedication to learning:

  • a person excessively devoted to studying or reading (Collins)
  • But you have to pick your dictionary carefully! Jun 9 '15 at 19:57
  • @EdwinAshworth - I know Collins is one of your favourites :)
    – user66974
    Jun 9 '15 at 20:38
  • 1
    It is possible that the pejorative flavour is more prevalent in the UK than the US. My perception is that 'bookworm' is (1) a dated usage, (2) slightly hinting at eccentricity. Jun 9 '15 at 21:13
  • Not that dated, apparently: books.google.com/ngrams/…
    – user66974
    Jun 9 '15 at 21:15
  • I've checked the first pages of hits for the word: almost all seem to be names of products, often childrens books. This skews the recent data significantly (though doubtless conversational usage is influenced by such names). Jun 9 '15 at 21:24

An intellectually curious person?


The closest single definition to what you've outlined is a philomathic, from the Greek root φιλια (philia) meaning love and μαθανω (mathanó) meaning learn. It's an adjective and it means: relating to or enjoying the process of learning new facts and acquiring new knowledge. As in, "All he did was study and read all day. His friends thought he was crazy, but he was just philomathic".


It's not exactly what you asked for, but I think inquisitive is not bad

given to inquiry, research, or asking questions; eager for knowledge; intellectually curious: an inquisitive mind.


  • I like inquisitive as it avoids academic overtones of some other possible answers Jun 10 '15 at 7:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.