I'm unable to remember a word which relates to a fine and nice state. The word is like ?-shape. Also, where and how can I use this word. Can I use it for both living and inanimate things.

  • Are you thinking of "ship-shape"? It is usually used to describe inanimate things/places, but you might come from an encouraging doctor's visit and tell someone, "The doctor says everything is "ship-shape".
    – Oldbag
    Jun 7, 2015 at 14:41
  • Yes, the word is right, can you elaborate more as an answer. Jun 7, 2015 at 14:43
  • @SharadGautam: you could try looking online yourself, you know. Googling just "shipshape" would work.
    – Margana
    Jun 7, 2015 at 15:02
  • I couldn't remember the word. Jun 7, 2015 at 15:15
  • 1
    Can you just tick the correct answer so the question can be wrapped-up?
    – Fattie
    Jun 7, 2015 at 16:24

1 Answer 1


"Ship-shape" - ([hyphen may be optional] Borrowed from nautical terminology) Because of the nature of travel on a moving surface (water) it is essential that equipment/cargo/personnel are well-maintained and in the right place at the right time. "Ship-shape" refers to the optimum state of affairs in this regard.

We also borrow the expressions:

"Squared-away" -'Putting things in their proper place' - literally or figuratively.(Setting the masts and yardarms at right-angles (squared) to the keel of the ship.)

"Batten down the hatches" - 'Prepare for a storm' - literally or figuratively. (Securing and covering points of egress in the hold to prevent water from entering.)

"Stowed-away/Stowaway/'Stow it'" - Gear, or equipment, put away in it's place/A living thing (accidentally or purposely) traveling in a place reserved for equipment or gear - or an unauthorized person on board/'Take that comment/opinion and keep it to yourself' - 'Shut-up.'


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.