I know a couple of people who have determined that they, for whatever reason, need to help guide other people through their lives. They always do things or suggest things to multiple people, usually disingenuously, in order to reach a desired outcome. This isn't necessarily to their benefit, but usually a mutual benefit or to the benefit of the "victim".

Looking for something other then overseer, if possible.

  • A few terms are possible, one with positive meaning might be a coach (or a perfectionist?). While a negative would be a micro-manager. Jun 7, 2015 at 2:42
  • 3
    A control freak, perhaps?
    – Robusto
    Jun 7, 2015 at 2:44
  • 1
    A busybody....?
    – WS2
    Jun 7, 2015 at 8:56
  • I'd call such a person a PIA.
    – ab2
    Jul 18, 2015 at 20:01

3 Answers 3


A kibitzer, if you're open to informal terms.

kibitz: informal

To offer unwanted or meddlesome advice, such as that given by the spectator of a card game. [AHD]


Micromanage might be the word you are looking for.

  • +1, but you might want to "nounify" this into micromanager for the OP.
    – Robusto
    Jun 7, 2015 at 12:45

I'd suggest meddlesome, officious or, if you'd like a noun, buttinsky -- a person given to butting in. I like kibitzer a lot, but it's more passive than the couple you're describing.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.