Consider a situation where there are a few typical places in which an object will usually be located. In rare cases, the object may be located elsewhere. I am looking for a word to describe the situation in which the object is in one of its typical locations. Something like "typically-positioned", but a single word.

EDIT: For example, consider the winner's podium in the olympics. There are 3 defined locations. If someone were to stand on one of these she would be in one of the "standard" locations. If someone were to stand with one foot in one part and another foot in the other, she would not be in one of the "standard" locations.

How would you describe a person that is in one of the "standard" locations?

2nd EDIT: Another example that does not involve a person: Consider a molecule is positioned most of the time in one of 3 locations. Occasionally the molecule is not in one of these locations.

How would you describe the molecule when it is in one of its typical positions?

  • 1
    "Put away"? When I'm at home and my husband wants to know where the scissors are, I tell him that I "put them away"... and he knows to find them in the office, with the other supplies or in the kitchen with the knives.
    – Catija
    Jun 2, 2015 at 20:20
  • 1
    @Catija thanks - in my case these are not objects that can be "put" and these typical locations are not really "away". Also I am looking for a single word.
    – Bitwise
    Jun 2, 2015 at 20:27
  • 2
    Many "single word requests" can't be filled by a single word. I'm not saying this can't, I'm just saying that you should be prepared for it not being possible. Don't get hung up on "single words"... they're not always better than multiple words.
    – Catija
    Jun 2, 2015 at 20:29
  • 1
    @TusharRaj I apologize about the marking - but it is just an example - my specific case does concern an object, not a person. So the question is exactly the same as it was originally. If you think this is an issue I can change the example to being something else that cannot be "put" - for example a planet that can be in a typical location.
    – Bitwise
    Jun 2, 2015 at 20:49
  • 1
    Yiu might refer to them as being out of position I don’t think there’s a single word for it.
    – Jim
    Jun 2, 2015 at 21:04

2 Answers 2


"The molecule is in its usual position."... or to use your own word from the question details, "The molecule is in its standard position."

Both "usual" and "standard" are unambiguous and understandable as the place that the object can be found most of the time.

  • 1
    Thanks. This is actually what I had in mind before posting the question, but I wanted to hear other opinions, or a single word that has this meaning.
    – Bitwise
    Jun 3, 2015 at 0:16

Try fixed, planted, defaulted (may be context sensitive), asserted, secured, redeposited, or situated.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.