When something is a subelement of another, we can say that it is nested into something. But how about the opposite way?

A is nested in B

B is .... A

Would the word be "nesting"?

  • 1
    Highly related, if not a duplicate: Square-rectangle relationship – Andrew Leach May 31 '15 at 19:33
  • @AndrewLeach I know sub/super specification mathematically, I'm just asking for the english word of that relationship with respect to the word "nested". – PascalVKooten May 31 '15 at 19:49
  • Wraps, envelopes, encompasses,... – Drew Jun 1 '15 at 3:40

"B is nesting A" or "B nests A" works. If you don't want to use that, consider:

B is encompassing A

or rather

B encompasses A.

It works for both the physical and metaphorical sense.

From Oxford:

  1. Surround and have or hold within

1.1 Include comprehensively


I would probably say B includes A; or B incorporates A.


A couple more options:

B contains A

B is the parent of A (for the case when A is a subtype of B)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.