Using Merriam-Webster as a baseline, the word 'togglable' doesn't exist yet. It has made it into Wiktionary. It also makes enough intuitive sense that I don't have a problem using it. But, I'm wondering if a synonym exists. Is there another word that means "Able to be turned on and off"?

  • togglable is too much of a mouthful.
    – TimR
    Commented May 29, 2015 at 13:12
  • 1
    Using other online sources including Wiktionary and YourDictionary.com, both "togglable" and "toggleable" are words already in existence. Commented May 29, 2015 at 14:34
  • 2
    Kristina - Yep. I wasn't clear enough, but I saw it in Wiktionary. I'm still looking for another option since it's a mouthful as Tim points out. Being on the complicated side of pronunciation is what spawned the question. Commented May 29, 2015 at 17:20
  • Agreed, @AlanW.Smith! :-) Commented May 29, 2015 at 21:40
  • I ended up using selectable - worked for me
    – user330151
    Commented Jan 1, 2019 at 15:57

2 Answers 2


Will switchable do?

The three separately switchable, compact fluorescent lamps in red, green and blue, not only produce these primary colours, but also three secondary-colour pastel shades and one shade of white.

  • 1
    I think a toggle is a switch that alternates between only two states and in which the same input results in the toggle changing one of those states for the other. As when you have one button for "on" and "off" on your TV remote, and the TV takes so long to come on that you think you've not pressed the button hard enough, so you press it again and find you've just turned the TV off again! Am I right about "toggle"?
    – Margana
    Commented May 29, 2015 at 15:13
  • @MARGANA - You're right on with toggle being a state change between an on/off. Conceptually, it's binary. To add a little more to the request, I'm currently using the phrase "Togglable Synesthesia". "Switchable" seems to be the best alternative. Though, in my case, I think I'll stick with the nascent word. Commented May 29, 2015 at 17:26

Swappable could work as an alternative.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.