This question already has an answer here:

What is the word for when anachronisms are used in movies set in modern day? This is deliberately done to produce a distinct style. This style is used in the TV show "Pushing Daisies" and the film "The Brothers Bloom".

marked as duplicate by Mr. Shiny and New 安宇, Fattie, Chenmunka, FumbleFingers single-word-requests May 28 '15 at 17:49

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • No, not anachronisms. This is done deliberately by the director to produce a distinct, quirky style. – kirovairship May 27 '15 at 17:12
  • They are still anachronisms. Dressing like someone from the 18th century may be quirky but that's because it's anachronsitic. – Mr. Shiny and New 安宇 May 27 '15 at 17:14
  • True, but it is not to word I am looking for. The word is for when anachronisms are deliberately used in media to produce the style. Perhaps I should edit my question. I wasn't very clear – kirovairship May 27 '15 at 17:25
  • "Anachronism" can be a neutral or positive word, I think. An anachronism can be deliberate if the context indicates it. "One of the trademarks of Samurai Champloo is its imaginative use of anachronism." spookhouse.net/angelynx/comics/anachronisms.html – lpf May 27 '15 at 17:38
  • That is a good point Ipf – kirovairship May 27 '15 at 18:29

These are called skeuomorphs.

From Wikipedia's article on skeuomorphs:

A skeuomorph is a derivative object that retains ornamental design cues from structures that were necessary in the original.1 Examples include pottery embellished with imitation rivets reminiscent of similar pots made of metal.

A similar alternative definition of skeuomorph is "a physical ornament or design on an object made to resemble another material or technique". This definition is broader in scope, as it can be applied to design elements that still serve the same function as they did in a previous design.

Skeuomorphs are deliberately employed to make the new look comfortably old and familiar.

In movie and film specifically, they are often called period objects or artifacts.

  • Dan, skeuomorph is almost entirely used to refer to, when, iPhone designers use "brown paper or leather backgrounds" on "notebooks" and the like in apps. ie, as in the sentence "Jonny Ives got rid of all the skeuomorph shit". The word was more or less invenetd to cover that situation, "iPhone design issues." I don't, really, see that word being used in connection to, uh, whatever the hell this question is about, in film and TV. – Fattie May 28 '15 at 4:02

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.