I have heard some people say the word hostelite or hostelide but just not sure if they are proper words.

P.S. I couldn't find it in any dictionary when I googled. Hosteler might be the closest. But I was referring to student hostels. Like accommodations on the campus. According to dictionaries, hostel is a place of temporary stay for travelers or the homeless.

  • 2
    Welcome Alchemist! Please add your research so our users know what steps you've already taken. May 20, 2015 at 14:05
  • Hostel has different meanings in different parts of the world. "In India, Pakistan and South Africa, hostel also refers to boarding schools or student dormitories in resident colleges and universities." en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostel In this case I think student resident is appropriate.
    – amdn
    May 20, 2015 at 15:27
  • 1
    It seems to me that if it's a student hostel they'd be called "students".
    – Hot Licks
    May 20, 2015 at 15:54
  • If you want to emphasize permanent (or long-term) residency in a hostel, you can consider hostel-dweller.
    – ermanen
    May 20, 2015 at 16:30
  • Student accommodations on campuses are more commonly called dorms (in the U.S.; abbreviated from dormitories) or (student) halls (of residence) (in the UK), rather than hostels. That doesn't necessarily help much, though, 'cause I don't think there's a common, simple term for someone who lives in dorms or halls, either. I suppose you could always be witty and call them dormant May 20, 2015 at 16:35

2 Answers 2


You probably mean a hosteller or hosteler :

  • a person who stays at youth hostels (Collins)
  • Hostelite can be found googling, but it is not a term found in dictionaries yet. Probably a slang term.

Regarding student hostels, the following site refers to the students who live there as resident students:

  • There are a limited number of well furnished guest rooms. Resident student members of the hostel can avail this facility for accommodating their parents or spouse when they visit the Institute. However, the members are required to adhere to the following rules and instructions with regard to guest rooms.
  • This is generally what you might call someone who is staying in hostels as part of a travelling experience. I wonder if the OP was referring to someone who specifically stays at hostels due to homelessness or vagrancy?
    – Jascol
    May 20, 2015 at 14:17
  • @Alchemist - only you know what hostels you are referring to. :)
    – user66974
    May 21, 2015 at 13:09

A person who look after the hostel students maybe a warden.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.