What is the most popular word used for calling: "Remote control" in British families?

How do the people call it? How the children call it?


  • Just some clarifications, if you will: are you looking for some sort of statistical data indicating what is the most popular word used for a TV remote control, or are you simply looking for a very common term that would be accepted without a raised eyebrow by the average British listener? Commented May 20, 2015 at 5:47
  • 2
    "Clicker" is incredibly common, everywhere, all English-speaking regions..
    – Fattie
    Commented May 20, 2015 at 8:34
  • 1
    Yep, "clicker", though possibly only in older people who remember when they clicked.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented May 20, 2015 at 12:04
  • @Avner Shahar The sec option
    – John
    Commented May 21, 2015 at 20:25

1 Answer 1


Just remote: (both BrE and AmE)

  • A remote control device.

Clicker but mainly in AmE:

  • A remote control, as for a television or DVD player. (AHD)

The Free Dictionary

  • Here is a list of slang words for the remote control:
  • What do you call your remote control remote control?

  • Linguists have studied hundreds of newly invented slang words which are now in every day use - and have found 57 words for a remote control. And the experts put the prevalence of slang down to what they call 'the global domination of the English language'.

  • Experts have found that slang is flourishing across all social groups, including words for a remote control such as blabber, zapper, melly and dawicki.

  • 1
    For what it's worth, I think remote is also the most common in the U.S. (I haven't heard clicker used very often in real life, though there may be regional differences or something.)
    – ruakh
    Commented May 20, 2015 at 6:08
  • I didn't mean to say that in U.S. remote is not used,
    – user66974
    Commented May 20, 2015 at 6:12
  • Don't worry, I didn't think you did. :-)
    – ruakh
    Commented May 20, 2015 at 6:13
  • Clicker is rare. These days it's more likely to refer to a remote control for giving power point presentations. Zapper used to be common but remote is probably more common now. (Southern England)
    – Chris H
    Commented May 20, 2015 at 7:52
  • Remote, as I said, is the term commonly used. Other options are less common. TV remote vs TV clicker vs TV zapper: (AmE) books.google.com/ngrams/…
    – user66974
    Commented May 20, 2015 at 8:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.