I am looking for an apt, or rather, a more sophisticated description for my cacographic handwriting style.

The term free-flowing is strictly accurate. However, I am looking for a adjective or term that connotes a uniformed mess: if possible, with a touch of grace applied. I recall having come across a word with a similar definition, suffixed by -iform, although I have not been able to remember or find this word again.

All those's who have helped or have tried, I thank you in advance.

P.s I am new to posting to English stack exchange so please forgive any communal faux pas i may commit.

  • 1
    Flourish style? : embellished writing, characters, etc, with ornamental strokes.
    – user66974
    Commented May 17, 2015 at 22:17
  • @Josh61 "Flourish" is a noun, not an adjective.
    – augurar
    Commented May 17, 2015 at 23:10
  • 1
    Is "uniformed mess" a typo?
    – augurar
    Commented May 17, 2015 at 23:13
  • @argurar no it is not a typo. Uniformed mess, meaning messy in a consistent way or style. Sorry for any mix-up, and Thanks for your time anyway.
    – CrimsonC
    Commented May 18, 2015 at 6:03
  • You might consider "cuneiform-like". (And "uniformed mess" is at least an odd construction. Your handwriting might be a "uniform mess", but "uniformed" implies that it's dressed in a (military?) uniform.)
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Aug 16, 2015 at 11:57

2 Answers 2


I can't imagine this word would have any connotation of grace whatsoever, but a word ending in -iform that could be applied to terrible handwriting might be epileptiform.

epileptiform (adj.) - resembling that of epilepsy

  • And I was downvoted because...? Commented Oct 16, 2015 at 0:54

Could 'fluid' work?

: having or showing a smooth and easy style http://i.word.com/idictionary/fluid

  • "Fluid" fits "free flowing", but not "cacographic". But, to use a different liquid metaphor, it might be described as "turbulent".
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Aug 16, 2015 at 11:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.