Possible Duplicate:
What is the word that denotes the words preceding these nouns?

Would it still be a noun, an adjective, or something else?


A stone fortress


1 Answer 1


In most cases, I believe, the 'other things' are themselves going to be some kind of nouns, in that case:

Nouns can sometimes describe other nouns (such as a soccer ball). When they do this, they are called modifiers.

Quoted from and refer for more details: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noun

  • Plus that Modifiers can be adjectives, adverbs, infinitive phrases and participle phrases.
    – Gigili
    May 10, 2011 at 18:05
  • Your answer is very ambiguous,I mean it has some mistakes.
    – Gigili
    May 10, 2011 at 18:19

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.