What do we call words that sound (pronunciation) similar but have different spellings?

Just for example :

come - kom
you - u

I've already seen this post but that does not comply with the examples I have shown.

Are there any words like that?

  • The answer you accepted is one of the answers given in the same post which you linked. I propose that your question is really a duplicate of the question whose link I have posted
    – Mari-Lou A
    May 17, 2015 at 18:48
  • 1
    Kom and u are not words at all. Your examples thus do not fit the question asked. May 17, 2015 at 19:28

1 Answer 1


From Wikipedia:

"A homophone is a word that is pronounced the same as another word but differs in meaning, and may differ in spelling. The words may be spelled the same, such as rose (flower) and rose (past tense of "rise"), or differently, such as carat, caret, and carrot, or to, two, and too."


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.