Is there any word that describes a person who is very interested in reading newspapers, and very interested in political news? Moreover one who loves being "updated" on the current affairs of the world?

  • 2
    It's not one word, but I have often encountered the two-word phrase "news junky".
    – Dan Bron
    Commented May 8, 2015 at 17:26
  • Hi Krishna. You've been a user for 3 years. Please learn to tag responsibly. It's a rare question that merits 4 tags. For this question, one would suffice.
    – Tushar Raj
    Commented May 8, 2015 at 17:53
  • @DanBron: Good one, but Junkie isn't big here in India. Krishna is better off with news-freak. Just saying.
    – Tushar Raj
    Commented May 8, 2015 at 17:56
  • @Krrishna: Please clarify. Are you looking for a positive term to show someone in good light? Or do you wish to insult/make fun of someone?
    – Tushar Raj
    Commented May 8, 2015 at 18:01
  • @Area51DetectiveFiction I added the 3 tags to the question. One being the SWR tag. Very often you will see more experienced users than I adding a 4th and a 5th tag to questions. Tags need to be relevant, and IMO only one tag is not enough. I'd look at other questions tagged as SWR and see how many other tags they have before stating it is "rare".
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented May 8, 2015 at 18:27

2 Answers 2


While not a real word currently, popular culture would understand the word "newsophile" The attachment of phile to make words like "audiophile" is becoming pretty popular creating new words over time.

  • Journophile also.
    – ermanen
    Commented May 8, 2015 at 18:46
  • or eidiseisophile from the greek word for news. (-phile is also from greek) i think i may be coining a whole new word here just as you are.
    – Octopus
    Commented May 8, 2015 at 21:44

News or current event enthusiast ... sorry its not one word

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.