A lease agreement reads, "If rent is not paid within 3 days of the 1st". Does that mean, the 1st + 3 days == the 4th is the final day to pay rent and the 5th day is in breach?
closed as off-topic by tchrist♦, Ellie Kesselman, Vilmar, Chenmunka, Misti May 6 '15 at 14:21
- This question does not appear to be about English language and usage within the scope defined in the help center.
- "The first" refers to the actual date: the 1st of the month, we presume.
- "Within one day of the first" would mean the 2nd.
- "Within two days of the first" would mean the 3nd.
- "Within three days of the first" would mean the 4th. Last day to pay.
- On the 5th of the month, if still unpaid, the contract would be in breach.