Example: -100 and +100 - is there a way of describing the relationship between these numbers?

Obviously, I've already come up with "opposite", is there anything else?

This is for use in an email.

Example usage:

There's an issue with records that contain values that are opposite values of each other, -100 and +100

  • -100 is the negative of +100. – Hot Licks May 2 '15 at 17:04

It's called the additive inverse.

In a less technical context, you could just call them negatives of each other.

Similarly, 5 and 1/5 are multiplicative inverses.

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    Wow. I think I'll stick with "opposite" for this email then. – Ciaran May 1 '15 at 23:21
  • 3
    I thought you were looking for the technical term. If it's casual email, try negative. – Barmar May 1 '15 at 23:23
  • 1
    Thanks. How would you phrase it though? "There's an issue with records that are negatives of each other"? – Ciaran May 1 '15 at 23:25
  • 5
    Yes, something like that would be fine. If you said opposites, I'm not sure they would understand that you refer to the number values. – Barmar May 1 '15 at 23:26
  • 1
    5 and 1/5 are also commonly called reciprocals, although that's not as precise. – fluffy May 2 '15 at 5:13

This is hardly mainstream English, but there is a term.

The identity element under addition for the set of reals (or the set of integers) is zero;

x + 0 = 0 + x = x

The element that must be added to any element to give the identity element as the product (the general term for result of a binary operation; here the sum) is, for addition, known as the additive inverse of that element (number).

| improve this answer | |
  • Is there a better place for this type of question since it's not mainstream? – Ciaran May 1 '15 at 23:22
  • The domain involved is maths, so the relevant SE website, or most other maths websites. – Edwin Ashworth May 1 '15 at 23:27
  • Good to know - thanks. I probably should've elaborated on my intent though. – Ciaran May 1 '15 at 23:33

As noted by Barmar, additive inverse is the technically correct term, but in your context, you could use the following phrase:

There's an issue with records that contain values that differ only in their sign. For example, -100 and +100.

You could also say:

There's an issue with records that contain values that have equal magnitude but opposite sign. For example, -100 and +100.

I have read both these in various textbooks written by American authors. You could pick one of these alternatives, or a similar variant, depending on your audience.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.