If you have two words that are anagrams of each other and are used next to each other, what is that occurrence called? (fee free to correct the way I've phrased the question if it is grammatically incorrect)

For example, mane's name. I realize that this is some form of anthropomorphism, but here the two words are anagrams of each other.

I ask, because luminous light-bulb is an example of alliteration. What would this occurrence be called?

2 Answers 2


Warden Andrew warned of war end.

I will go so far as to say There isn't one. Not every occurrence has a name in English; sometimes you just have to describe it.

(There is obviously alliteration here with the repetition of the initial w, but simply using repeated or even consecutive anagrams doesn't have a formal name.)


One term that best describes the given example of "mane's name" is Semordnilap:

A word or name that spells a different word backwards (notice what semordnilap spells backwards). Semordnilaps (coined by Martin Gardner in 1961) are also known as backronyms, volvograms, heteropalindromes, semi-palindromes, half-palindromes, reversgrams, mynoretehs, recurrent palindromes, reversible anagrams, word reversals, or anadromes.

Answer found via google at http://theweek.com/articles/464433/palindromes-anagrams-9-other-names-alphabetical-antics

  • 1
    Note that name is not mane spelled backwards. Semordnilap may not be appropriate.
    – Andrew Leach
    Apr 26, 2015 at 13:05
  • Also I doubt that anyone other than Martin Gardner would ever use this word.
    – augurar
    Apr 26, 2015 at 18:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.