As a non-English native speaker, I don't know what is the difference between these following expressions and whether or not the first expression is correct?

The first expression:

Then you sometimes check the depth of the trench when you are pulverizing, dragging soil up, and then recreate your digging process.

The second expression:

Then you sometimes check the trench depth when you pulverize and drag the soil up, and then recreate your digging process.

Are the depth of the trench and the trench depth exactly the same? if they are different, then what is the difference here?

closed as unclear what you're asking by FumbleFingers, tchrist, Ellie Kesselman, Edwin Ashworth, Mitch Apr 28 '15 at 12:55

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    possible duplicate of Changing Noun to Adjective using "of" – ScotM Apr 24 '15 at 18:51
  • 1
    @ScotM It's not quite a duplicate, as the question you linked asks if there exist cases where the "adjective + of + object" structure doesn't work. I would, however, say that this question belongs in ELL. – R Mac Apr 24 '15 at 19:40
  • If you are translating this to english from another language, and if I grasp your intended meaning correctly, perhaps a better phrase would be From time to time [periodically] check the trench depth while you pulverize and drag the soil up, and adjust your digging depth as required[as appropriate/ to make it xx cm deep]. – M Granja Apr 24 '15 at 19:45
  • Welcome to EL&U. I removed your second question, as our format is best suited to handle a single question at a time. I encourage you to take the site tour and review the help center for a good introduction to our standards and practices. – choster Apr 24 '15 at 22:31
  • 1

As far as meaning goes, 'depth of the trench' and 'trench depth' are equivalent. Also for 'pulverize' vs 'pulverizing', though as the reader won't likely be reading the instructions at the time he is pulverizing, using the simple present tense is better.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.