I am looking for an adjective that is related to 'turn of the century' or something like that. It seems to start with the letter 'c'. Do you know what it is

I'd appreicate your help.

  • Can you suggest a sentence where this adjective could be used?
    – user66974
    Apr 24, 2015 at 5:03
  • Are you looking for centennial?
    – muru
    Apr 24, 2015 at 5:06
  • Are you sure this word exists? Do you remember seeing it somewhere?
    – Tushar Raj
    Apr 24, 2015 at 9:57
  • I'm guessing you're thinking of "centennial", which does not mean "turn of the century", but rather a 100-year anniversary.
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 24, 2015 at 10:10

1 Answer 1


"Fin de siècle" is a French expression used in English to mean "end of the century" not "turn of the century". (Wikipedia)

It's not exact, I know, but related. Might be of help.

  • 2
    Though it's originally a French noun phrase, as a loan word / lexical borrowing it's become accepted as a fully-fledged adjective too {Collins}: fin de siècle n 1. (Historical Terms) the end of the 19th century, when traditional social, moral, and artistic values were in transition adj 2. (Historical Terms) of or relating to the close of the 19th century Apr 24, 2015 at 10:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.