What is the term for when a word begins with the same sound as the previous word's ending sound? For example, there are three instances of this in one line of the lyrics to For the First Time in Forever (Reprise) in the Frozen movie soundtrack, where Elsa sings:

Just stay away and you'll be safe from me.

  1. Just stay
  2. safe from
  3. from me

I don't think elision is the correct term, since all references I've found to elision show that letters are omitted when written, e.g., "going to" -> "gonna."

  • 4
    It usually implies specifically the repetition of initial consonants, but I'd still just call this a type of alliteration – FumbleFingers Apr 23 '15 at 12:50
  • 2
    I actually wonder if there is a specific name when people merge the pronunciation of the identical syllables. I'm guessing that not many English speakers today will normally close "just" with a stop before continuing on to "stay". – user21820 Apr 25 '15 at 6:13

The term is called haplology. Where one sound is omitted and the words are pronounced together. Newspaper route becomes newspaperout, for example. Often times haplology refers to repeated sounds within a single word, but in English (and possibly some other languages) it happens with multiple words.

| improve this answer | |
  • Can you provide a reference for this? E.g., a dictionary that defines it, or a credible source that uses it? – Scott Mar 12 '18 at 4:14
  • I like this answer, but I believe it should be spelled with two 'L's: haplology. Hope you don't mind that I edited it for spelling. – Bread Mar 12 '18 at 4:35
  • -1 This may be the answer to user21820’s comment but it doesn’t answer OP’s question. – Jim Mar 12 '18 at 5:00

Assonance is the closest word I know of. Generally, it describes words that have repeated vowel sounds but don't rhyme. For example, "fold" and "own". It could be used generically to mean what you're asking, but it wouldn't specifically mean that. And it is more correct to use assonance to describe words where the repeated sounds are in the same place, but it is a better bet than alliteration or rhyme. Consonance means the same thing for consonant sounds.

| improve this answer | |
  • Can you provide an objective source substantiating your answer? – Helmar Aug 27 '16 at 23:19
  • Take your pick :) : google.com/#q=assonance – abalonemacaroni Aug 27 '16 at 23:31
  • Take your pick and incorporate it into your answer ;) – Helmar Aug 28 '16 at 8:07

Could refer to consonant rhyme or consonance as per the usage.

The repetition of consonants (or consonant patterns) especially at the ends of words

| improve this answer | |
  • That would mean rhyming between the ends of two words, not one's end and the other's beginning. If I'm reading the definition correctly. – Flater Apr 27 '15 at 12:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.