What is the word for a person from a different company that supplies people/services for you to use constantly?

  • Please provide some context and/or examples of people who fit the bill. – Tushar Raj Apr 23 '15 at 10:41
  • I think this is often called a "personnel service". Though "temp agency" is a more colloquial term (that the services like to avoid using). – Hot Licks May 23 '15 at 11:52

It's simply "supplier". That's the universally used word.


The first word that comes to my mind is contractor which according to Merriam-Webster and Collins seems to fit.

Note however that this term is very broad simply designing someone who has entered a contract (legal or a natural persons alike) while in its narrower meaning it appears to be primarly used for construction firms.

  • It's not just used in construction. In high tech, we often hire contractors in lieu of permanent employees. – Barmar Apr 27 '15 at 21:25
  • 1
    A contractor is a particular type, a subset, of supplier. The answer to the OP is very simply "supplier" - a term used constantly in business. – Fattie May 23 '15 at 16:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.