Is there an idiom/expression in English for changing the subject in a conversation (and if possible, in a sarcastic way)?
For example, there is an expression in Turkish: gelelim fasulyenin faydalarına. It can be translated as "let's get/come to the benefits of beans". It also has a sarcastic flavor in it.
It is used generally when you want to change the subject/topic in a conversation. There can be similar but slightly different connotations as well:
- to change the topic where you think that the conversation is boring
- to start a topic when everyone is silent or there is no substantial conversation
- to change the topic to talk about the main/important subject (and this subject is usually important to you only)
It is not getting to the point or beginning to get serious. So the following expressions don't cut it:
- let's get down to business
- let's get down to brass tacks
- let's get down to bedrock
- let's get down to nitty gritty
- let's get down to cases
Alternatives of the Turkish expression:
- gel gelelim fasulyenin faydalarına
- gelelim kuru fasulyenin faydalarına