Is there any better term or word for an overseas office? It's like a company opening a new workplace in other countries.

  • 6
    These are sometimes called satellite offices (because they orbit around HQ), or in certain industries branch offices or just branches. Your term, overseas office, however, carries the dentition that the office is in another county explicitly. Mine do not. They simply mean subordinate office; they can be in the same country as Hq, but e.g. in a different state or area.
    – Dan Bron
    Commented Apr 20, 2015 at 10:50
  • 2
    Unclear: Is this a sales office or such, to extend the reach of the company, or an outsourcing site, to employ cheap overseas labor?
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Apr 21, 2015 at 2:45
  • The phrase "oversea office" puts me in mind of an oil rig or fantastical flying fortress suspended over crashing waves. The phrase you'd probably want to use is "overseas office", which implies that ocean(s) separate the office from its headquarters. Commented Apr 21, 2015 at 6:10
  • Why not 'foreign office'? Commented May 21, 2015 at 5:54
  • This question reminds me of the phrase my wife's company uses for its cheap offshoring site for cheap labour in India: it's known as the Global Talent Centre.
    – AndyT
    Commented Sep 18, 2015 at 13:19

2 Answers 2


Foreign branch/subsidiary/affiliate may fit.


A term that would work would be Offshore company (Or office)

Offshore Company:

Firm registered or incorporated outside the country where it has its main offices and operations, or where its principal investors reside.

  • Certainly in the UK, an 'offshore office' would imply that it's on an island [that's even smaller than the British Isles]. We wouldn't, for example, call the New York office of a British company 'offshore'. We would use 'offshore' if it was on the Isle of Man [small island, outside the UK's jurisdiction.] Commented Apr 21, 2015 at 15:30
  • Offshoring is relocation, not simply opening a foreign branch. Offshore furthermore carries negative connotations among the ,public as it is commonly done to skirt taxes, wages, or regulations.
    – choster
    Commented Nov 17, 2015 at 14:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.