We are developing an equipment system which basically tracks every single component used in bigger structures for a certain industry. We are distinguishing between single components and composite components.

So for example, a firetruck in our system is composed of other components, e.g water pump, ladder etc.

Any suggestions to better names for these two types of components?


  • The corresponding adjective for composite is simple, rather than single.
    – Kris
    Apr 14, 2015 at 14:39
  • See: synonyms.net/antonyms/composite
    – Kris
    Apr 14, 2015 at 14:44
  • Not a very helpful answer, but the composite design pattern uses the term "component" for what you are describing: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_pattern#Structure When it's a component that has sub-components, it's called a "composite". That's definitely not intuitive, though.
    – Jeremy
    Apr 14, 2015 at 19:17

2 Answers 2


What about using the word "assembly" in place of "composite component". As long as you make the definition clear in this context, it seems to me to be a reasonable way of expressing it.


Singular item = component Item created from multiple components = construct

That's how I would identify them, at least. Especially if you are tracking the components and then what components a construct is assembled from.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.