What do you call the category whose members include "For Sale," "For Rent," "For Lease," etc.?

To put it another way, how would you fill in the blank:

When we see a signage for an apartment for sale, we say that the apartment's _________ is "For Sale".

  • Could you be more specific? Category of what? Phrases?
    – Tushar Raj
    Apr 14, 2015 at 10:51
  • Indeed, being a bit more specific would help, because the first thing that comes to mind is signs put on objects, which is probably not what you are looking for. If you are simply looking for "what does the preposition for mean, and how is it used?" I think you need to thoroughly rephrase your question...
    – oerkelens
    Apr 14, 2015 at 10:54
  • Do you mean Property Status ? Tenure type ?
    – mplungjan
    Apr 14, 2015 at 11:25
  • 1
    @oerkelens OP is looking for a name for the category which includes "renting", "leasing", "selling", etc. A proper word which means status-of-ownership-and-usage-rights or rights-transfership-situation, etc. My guess is he's a programmer looking to name a field or a database column.
    – Dan Bron
    Apr 14, 2015 at 11:27
  • @DanBron: the edit made it clearer, indeed. If I were a betting man, I'd back up your guess :) I think that status, as mplungjan proposed, might do fine.
    – oerkelens
    Apr 14, 2015 at 11:29

1 Answer 1


Converting comment into answer:

(Land) tenure is the name given, particularly in common law systems, to the legal regime in which land is owned by an individual, who is said to "hold" the land Wikipedia

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.