As is often the case, I got stuck while programming because I couldnt' find the right name for a variable.

I want to write an interface for a class that has dependencies, but I'm unsure about how to name it.


Something that has dependencies is a ...

fill in the blank


Something that has dependencies is a dependant.

This is the situation explained:

Whenever a class A uses another class or interface B, then A depends on B. A cannot carry out it's work without B, and A cannot be reused without also reusing B. In such a situation the class A is called the "dependant" and the class or interface B is called the "dependency". A dependant depends on its dependencies.

Source: http://tutorials.jenkov.com/ood/understanding-dependencies.html#whatis


head. The term comes from dependency grammar, where grammatical constituents are taken to have a head word, which determines the central properties of the constituent, and other subsidiary constituents. E.g., the nominal properties of a noun phrase are due to its head word being a noun, and subsidiary constituents, i.e. dependencies, are determiner, adjective, prepositional phrase, relative clause. When a noun. e.g. "man", occurs with such a dependent, e.g. a determiner "the", within a noun phrase, e.g. "the man", one says this dependency of the head has been satisfied.

There is lots of disagreement about which part of a grammatical constituent is the head (if any) and which parts are dependents.


"main source" comes to mind. I would also suggest "main office" and "headquarters"

  • headquarters (noun) "a place from which something (such as a business or a military action) is controlled or directed" MW

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.