I'm wondering if there is a word for the wrong use of capital letters?

As in "The Little Girl was wearing a Red Dress" (not as a headline).

Is there a word for that?


3 Answers 3


I would call it miscapitalization.

You can say a sentence or word is miscapitalized, just as you can say that a sentence is mispunctuated, or that a word is misused.


The word used to describe the correct use of capitalization is orthography. A misuse might be considered poor orthography.

  • We really say spelling in English.
    – Lambie
    Sep 15, 2019 at 15:59
  • Good suggestion! Please add a dictionary definition of 'orthography' in case someone isn't sure of the definition. Sep 15, 2019 at 21:21

If capital letters are used to emphasize a word or a concept it could be seen as a poetic license.

  • The liberty taken by an artist or a writer in deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect. (AHD)

The Free Dictionary

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.