If schadenfreude means "pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune", is there a word to call someone who can't feel happy when something good/exciting happens to a relative/friend/someone close?

  • Fradenscheude? – John Lawler Apr 7 '15 at 19:40
  • 2
    @medica That question is asking for a different "opposite". – 101100 Apr 7 '15 at 20:06
  • 1
    Indeed, that is not a valid duplicate. – Hellion Apr 8 '15 at 15:06
  • That is not a duplicate! This question wants a word for someone who is unhappy about someone else's success, while that one wants a word for someone who is happy about someone else's success. Completely different animals. – 1006a Feb 21 '19 at 21:46
  • The linked duplicate is wrong, but this looks like a valid duplicate. – cag51 Feb 22 '19 at 0:14

The term gluckschmerz in German means "displeasure due to another person's success" which is essentially the opposite of schadenfreude (which is also originally from German). This page discusses both terms.

  • Links only are not sufficient as answers; copying selected passages is more helpful, because links can be lost. – anongoodnurse Apr 7 '15 at 19:07
  • @medica The linked article was added for additional information. The text of my answer gives all of the information requested in the question. – 101100 Apr 7 '15 at 20:07
  • @user75110 If this answers your question, can you accept the answer by clicking the checkmark next to it? – 101100 Apr 7 '15 at 20:08
  • 1
    Yes, but is gluckschmerz a term that is used in English? This is ELU after all. – bib Apr 7 '15 at 22:17

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.