I am pretty sure I have seen a word for someone who often misses small details, but it has slipped out of my mind. Any ideas?

  • On this post: english.stackexchange.com/q/68909/18655, I had an answer that explained the word careless. I think it would suit your situation as well. – JLG Apr 7 '15 at 22:57
  • If you weren't so scatterbrained you'd remember it. – Hot Licks Apr 8 '15 at 1:05
  • 1
    If the problem is that the person works quickly but tends to omit details that (some) others consider important, the word slapdash might apply. – Sven Yargs Apr 8 '15 at 4:31

I looked up "observant," the antonym at thesaurus.com and there seem to be no suitable adjectives without a negating prefix, but "unobservant" or "imperceptive" might fit.


Sloppy comes to mind. When I looked up synonyms for that and antonyms for meticulous I found imprecise, superficial, negligent and unthorough (although Word does show the last one as misspelled for some reason). Was that what you were aiming for?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.