What would be a good alternative way to say "shifting perspectives", as in the meaning of looking at things in a new way?

  • Are you sure that's what the phrase/ term means? – Kris Mar 26 '15 at 10:36
  • A positive expression would be "newer vistas." – Kris Mar 26 '15 at 10:45

You could use paradigm shift, specially if this new way of looking at things is very different from the previous one.


It's rather generic, but there's always a new point of view or possibly even a new outlook or a new frame of mind.


There is also the slightly more technical gestalt shift, used in pyschology and philosophy.

I'm not sure how authoritative a source this is, but it says:

In psychology, a gestalt shift is when your perception suddenly changes. In his Philosophical Investigations, Wittgenstein illustrated this with the duck-rabbit illusion: you can see either the duck or the rabbit but not both at the same time. Your brain switches between the two in an instant. Your perception changes. In life, there are longer term gestalt shifts: moments when your perception shifts and suddenly everything has changed. Afterwards, you see things anew and the universe clicks together in a different way.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.