I am wondering what the best word is for all things used in the kitchen, including:

  • kitchen gadgets
  • dishes
  • pans
  • forks, knives..
  • kitchen towels
  • kitchen decorations

What is the best word to sum it all up?

  • kitchen products?
  • kitchen things?
| improve this question | | | | |


  1. Cooking equipment or utensils.
| improve this answer | | | | |



A tool, container, or other article, especially for household use:

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • 1
    I typically don't refer to dishes and pans as "utensils" (southern US) – Chase Sandmann Mar 24 '15 at 20:07
  • I wouldn't either (NE USA), but as part of a larger class of items it seems appropriate. – ScotM Mar 24 '15 at 20:11
  • @ChaseSandmann At a push I might refer to most of those things as 'utensils' includng the crockery and cutlery. However I can't imagine describing towels or decorations as utensils. For me 'utensils' are pieces of hardware used for cooking. Even the crockery and cutlery are doubtful, pieces of fabric and items with no function are certainly not utensils. – BoldBen Apr 9 '19 at 16:36

Culinary is, I think, the answer. It refers to things related to a kitchen or cookery. It is also used as the adjective of kitchen itself.

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • 3
    Culinary isn't also an adjective. It is only an adjective. It isn't a noun. So culinary, I think, ... no, I know, ... is not the answer to the question "what is the best word for all things used in a kitchen." "Culinary things" would be somewhat of an answer, but it is not the best WORD. – Canis Lupus Mar 25 '15 at 3:59
  • @CanisLupus in Gaurav's defense, you can just as well use adjectives in an e-commerce categorization. An adjective isn't less of word than a noun. – Pierre Arlaud Mar 25 '15 at 10:22
  • I think in an e-commerce sites would prefer crispy and single word names instead of cumbrous constructions. "Culinary" may be read as "Culinary Section/Corner" where 'section / corner' is understood. Thanks Pierre Arlaud. – B Gaurav Mar 25 '15 at 13:59

If you're looking for a coined single word, consider something like:

Culinariana combining culinarian with the suffix -ana from

culinarian: a cook or a chef


-ana (or -iana): denoting an assembly of items, as household objects, art, books, or maps, or a description of such items, as a bibliography, all of which are representative of or associated with the place, person, or period named by the stem: "Americana; Shakespeareana; Victoriana."


Epicureana (or epicuriana), combining epicure or epicurean with the suffix -ana/-iana:

epicure - a person who cultivates a refined taste, especially in food and wine; connoisseur.

(Definitions from Dictionary.com)

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • nice. knew word of the day! – albert Mar 24 '15 at 23:15
  • I could get used to the sound of that. – Good A.M. Mar 25 '15 at 1:45
  • or the already in-use word culinarian. – Erich Mar 25 '15 at 2:34
  • @erich As a noun, that would be the chef or cook, and doesn't encompass "all things used in a kitchen". Your link doesn't include the adjective form, but the adjective means "or or related to a kitchen or cookery" (for which "culinary" also would work). I don't think either definition of culinary (the noun or the adjective) really works to describe "things used in a kitchen". – Canis Lupus Mar 25 '15 at 3:32
  • alas, thou art correct. – Erich Mar 25 '15 at 3:41

Although is sounds broader, the term "housewares" generally refers to stuff you'd find in the kitchen.

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • 1
  • @PopMachine - 1. Overstock.com is not an authority on the English Language. 2. Most of those items would usually be classified as Small Appliances. 3. Most dictionaries seem to be in agreement with my personal experience, i.e., selling housewares. – Oldbag Mar 24 '15 at 22:07
  • 1
    True, Overstock.com isn't an English language authority, but it is a successful e-commerce website. In the context of this question it shouldn't be disregarded, and in the context of ELL it shouldn't be used as an argument against a grammatical idea on its own. – talrnu Mar 25 '15 at 13:23
  • @Oldbag: As talrnu points out, the question is about using a term on an e-commerce website, and when I googled it, this was the largest most successful e-commerce website that showed up. It doesn't matter what a dictionary or your real-world experience says if this is real onsite usage. It should also be pointed out: you yourself said "although it sounds broader" -- well, if your customers are not going to expect it to means what it does mean, then it's not a good term to use when you are trying to sell stuff. It doesn't matter what your dictionary says. – ThePopMachine Mar 25 '15 at 15:16
  • I understood (or, misunderstood) that the OP was looking for a word to summarize the product line. (In which case, the word I offered is the most common industry term.) If OP is actually looking for a term to help sell the stuff, I'd suggest "Bridal Registry" - then, implement one. – Oldbag Mar 26 '15 at 13:40

Cutlery or kitchen ware is the correct word I think.

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • its true - cutlery is cutlery no matter what its location – JMP Mar 25 '15 at 10:36

There's Batterie de Cuisine (fr, lit, "Kitchen Artillery")

But Kitchenware and Cookware are pretty universal.


| improve this answer | | | | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.