Sorry if a bit crude.

I heard someone make a comment that someone was talking out of their ...

It was quite a formal way of saying backside. I can't remember the word though, the only words coming to mind are function and trumpet, and it isn't either. Can you help me remember the word?


Perhaps you are searching for the word, "derrière."

  • 1
    I have now remembered the word, it was fundament. Thanks for the answers though! – user3049027 Mar 29 '16 at 18:19
  • @user304902: ah, as in Samuel Johnson's description of a woman as having "a bottom of good sense," or rather being "fundamentally sensible." – herisson Mar 29 '16 at 18:23
  • @user3049027 I would never in a 100 years have known that. Can you post an answer to your own question? Ahh, fundament is listed in the thesaurus link! – Mari-Lou A Mar 29 '16 at 18:33

You might be thinking of the word derrière, which is French for behind.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.