What do we call a person who is super excited for something?

closed as off-topic by ermanen, Mari-Lou A, Nicole, Janus Bahs Jacquet, Robusto Mar 22 '15 at 14:19

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave these specific reasons:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – Janus Bahs Jacquet, Robusto
  • "Please include the research you've done, or consider if your question suits our English Language Learners site better. Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic." – ermanen, Mari-Lou A, Nicole
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.




1 A person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause:

He paints his face black and gold because he's a fanatic about the Pittsburgh Steelers.

  • 1
    Usually in everyday conversation it's shortened to "fan", and used with the preposition "of". As in "He paints his face black and gold because he's a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers." The full word (fanatic) has a negative context (e.g. "religious fanatic"). – Parthian Shot Mar 24 '15 at 23:48







It depends what he's excited about.

  • If the thing he is excited about is participating in an ongoing or upcoming activity, the most apt term is gung ho (or gung-ho).

  • If the object of his excitement is a person whom he idolizes or enamored of (eg a female pop singer) you might say he is star-struck or {gaga/crazy} {over/for} her

  • If he is excited sexually (aroused) there are many slang terms, some quite vulgar . Some printable ones: hot to trot (old fashioned) or just hot [for her] (newer—see, for instance, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrx_55SgwAY )

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.