When sorting my files, I use the folder Presentation, Spreadsheet, Drawing and Database, because I use multiple Operating Systems.

But I don't have a word for Apple Pages / Microsoft Office Word / Libre Office Writer.

I don't like Word Processing, because it is two words, and I don't want to use Writer, because that is bias.

What single word covers all of these?

  • How about "document"? – Hot Licks Mar 17 '15 at 18:23
  • I've used document for the containing folder (well, documents). – Tim Mar 17 '15 at 18:31
  • I'd go with "Writing". – Hellion Mar 17 '15 at 18:36
  • @Greg What do you mean? – Tim Mar 17 '15 at 19:26
  • @Tim, human editors add marks to a manuscript which give directions about how the document is to be displayed in print. Font, margins, etc. When the formatting is done by a program instead of human typesetters, the text with added marks about desired display format is still said to have markup, and the various systems to do the formatting are called markup systems or markup languages. Once the text has had markup added to it, ready to be displayed on screen or in print, it can be called "markup". – Greg Lee Mar 17 '15 at 19:34

How about calling your folder "Text."

  • Text may be the best... – Tim Mar 17 '15 at 18:31

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.