I'm creating a computer program to simulate a snack vending machine. However, I'm having trouble with naming. I have rows and columns of different kinds of products. A singular snack is held in a slot. However, for any given row and column (e.g. B9) there are multiple slots containing many of the same product. What could I name this depth that contains multiple of the same product?

  • Vending machines are typically populated by coils. – Ian MacDonald Mar 16 '15 at 17:38
  • 1
    @IanMacDonald Coils of Kit-Kat ? Sounds heavenly. – WS2 Mar 16 '15 at 17:43
  • How about "count"? – Canis Lupus Mar 16 '15 at 18:20

I'm guessing you want a name for the position of the snack in a particular slot, so you can refer to it in your program?

If you have 50 chocolate bars in Slot B9 ready to vend, then each one of the bars occupies a 'cell' from 1 to 50 say. You could use 'layer' or 'slice'.

| improve this answer | |
  • What you're calling 'cell' is what I was calling 'slot'. However, I think I may want to adopt the word cell and use slot to indicate the entire space that holds the 50 chocolate bars in B9. – Joel Christophel Mar 16 '15 at 18:49

Trays support a number of individual spaces. Each space has an auger that pushes outward the selected product. Technically you can refer to them as single auger spaces:

  • The trays can be adjusted up or down in one inch increments to provide additional headroom for vending taller products.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |

A quick poll of UK English speakers here reveals that most people call it a 'hole'! But I think 'receptacle' might work well.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.