Is there a word to describe someone who loves or enjoys bridges (look at, go over, or appreciate engineering).

Something similar to the way oenophile means someone who loves wine.

| improve this question | | | | |
  • 2
    A bridge-lover is also probably a trophy-winner of the same. – tchrist Mar 14 '15 at 21:02
  • 1
    If you want something that will be understood it's "bridge lover" or "bridge-ophile". – Hot Licks Mar 14 '15 at 21:38
  • 1
    @JimiOke it's definitely not that, I like them for rugged efficiency not art. So I'm not too much a fan of the Golden Gate, but I think freeway overpasses are nice or even a downed tree in a jungle over a ravine or river. Those are really aesthetic to me for some reason. – Neil Mar 15 '15 at 0:56
  • 1
    Bridge contractors? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_bridge . Jes kiddin !! – Blessed Geek Mar 15 '15 at 5:27
  • 1
    @tchrist might not a bridge lover be someone who loves playing the card game? – Mari-Lou A Mar 15 '15 at 10:47

The word is pontist.

1. A historic bridge enthusiast who enjoys either lobbying for preservation and/or who enjoys visiting and photographing historic bridges.
2. Anyone who enjoys working with or visiting/photographing bridges of any kind.


It also appears in one of the reviews of the book "Bridges of the World: Their Design and Construction" (By Charles S. Whitney):

A book to delight the heart and eye of a pontist whether he be an admirer and lover of bridges or a designed or builder..." -Saturday Review of Literature

It is coined from Latin pont-, stem of pons "bridge". (See: similar words)

Another example from the book "Historic Iron and Steel Bridges in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont" (By Glenn A. Knoblock):

This is a book intended for anyone who has an interest in bridges, whether they are a bridge enthusiast ( a "pontist"), civil engineer, native New Englander or someone from outside the region.

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • 1
    There's even a blog called The Happy Pontist written by a bridge designer. – Mari-Lou A Mar 14 '15 at 20:54
  • 1
    I think this might be the word I'm looking for, but does it have to be for historic bridges? What about those ones you go over on the freeway while driving? There isn't a definition in a normal dictionary that I can locate :( Only Urbandictionary so I don't think it counts. – Neil Mar 14 '15 at 21:02
  • @Neil: It appears that it covers all kind of activities that can indicate love of bridges. It covers loving them in general as well as photographing, visiting, designing, engineering etc. – ermanen Mar 14 '15 at 21:09
  • 1
    @Neil: These kind of coined words are not always in big dictionaries but they are generally accepted in the domain that they are used. You are even lucky to find it on urbandictionary. I included supporting evidence from books about bridges. (and there are other books using it if you check Google Books) – ermanen Mar 14 '15 at 21:36
  • 1
    Ermanen you did a really thorough and good job :) – Neil Mar 16 '15 at 9:53

The Greek word for bridge is γέφυρα, so a lover of bridges would be a gephyrophile (or maybe gefurophile, depending on how the Greek is to be transliterated).

| improve this answer | | | | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.